History

30′s airfield Strachowice built for German Air Force needs,
February 1945 airport taken over by the Soviet Army,
June 1945 civil aviation activities started with circular airlink: Warsaw-Łódź-Poznań-Wrocław-Katowice-Łódź- Warsaw,
Spring 1946 civil airport transferred from Strachowice to Gądów Mały. Opening new airlinks: Warsaw – Wrocław – Warsaw
with an intermediate landing at Łódź, and Poznań – Wrocław – Katowice (1948-1950),
1952/1953 Wrocław-Strachowice airfield enlarged and modernised (a concrete runway built),
1958 civil airport activities returned from Gądów Mały to Strachowice,
1958-1992 regular flights to Warsaw, Cracow and Rzeszów, as well as seasonal ones to Gdansk, Szczecin and Koszalin,
June 1990 a decision to establish a joint stock company Port Lotniczy Wrocław SA, taken by municipal and provincial authorities,
November 1991 German company AIRCONSULT from Frankfurt/Main Airport prepared a Feasibility Study of the Wrocław Airport,
January 1992 joint stock company Port Lotniczy Wrocław SA established,
August 1992 new Arrivals Terminal opened,
December 1992 licence to conduct economic activity at the Strachowice Airport granted to Port Lotniczy Wrocław SA,
January 1993 property and employees of the “Polish Airports” State Enterprise taken over by Port Lotniczy Wrocław SA,
January 1993 Wroclaw – Frankfurt/Main – the first international airlink opened at the Wrocław Airport,
March 1996 another airlink opened: Wrocław – Frankfurt/Main,
May 1997 new International Departures Terminal opened,
March 1998 construction of a new Domestic Flights Terminal started,
November 1998 new Domestic Flights Terminal opened,
May 1999 Wrocław Air Cargo Terminal opened,
May 1999 installation of meteorological system (VAISALA) completed,
June 1999 modernised International Arrivals Hall opened,
January 2000 new Airport Fire Station opened,
November 2000 another(third) apron completed,
February 2001 new Air Traffic Control Tower open,
February 2001 duty free zone in the International Departures Hall open,
March 2005 first low-cost flight connection to London, beginning of a dynamic increase of passengers’ traffic,
6th December 2005 Wrocław Airport was given the name of Nicolaus Copernicus and the new part of the terminal has been opened,
March 2008 new terminal opened to provide serves to
passengers traveling to non-Schengen countries
May 2009 Hochtief chosen as a general contractor of the new terminal
July 2009 agreement with Hochtief – a general contractor of the new terminal signed
August 2009 construction of the new terminal started
March 2010 Wizz Air’ base in Wrocław opened
November 2010 construcion of the new terminal – building shell, finishing works in progress
October 2011
first Ryanair’ base in Poland (Wrocław) announced
28 February 2012
use permit for the new terminal granted, new terminal opening ceremony
11 March 2012
new terminal opened for service

Print | Save as PDF